Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Trust Me, I'm American

Today's Express (Cars, p. 10) has a false statement posing as a subtitle for one of its articles. The article was written by John Porretto of the AP. Man, the AP just continues to lose credibility. And I don't expect credibility from the Post. It's even more ironic when you consider the title of the article - Trust Me, I'm American. The subtitle says:


U.S.-made vehicles top reliability ratings in consumer survey

I have to say, as a big American-made-car-hater, this came as a bit of a shock to me. So, I start reading and encounter this:


For the first time in 25 years, U.S. carmakers can say they make more reliable cars than their competitors in Europe. Asian manufacturers still hold top bragging rights, however.

OK - so the subtitle was a lie. The subtitle said that U.S.-made vehicles topped the reliability ratings, and they did not.

Later on in the article, much later on, we get what we should have gotten up front:

The magazine said vehicles from Acura, Honda, Infiniti, Lexus, Mazda, and Toyota have been the most reliable over the past five years.

Oh! All those guys are American companies, right?! Cool. Gotta go get me a Ford, I mean a Toyota, built in the heartland of America!