Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Meeting I Have Decided To Miss

Got an email today at my job. I work for one of the bazillion government-related contracting companies - sort of. Anyways, I get the email reads:


To All:

There will be an All Hands Meeting tomorrow, Wednesday, May 26 at 3:00 pm. All are invited to attend. The meeting will be held in the Elevator Lobby at [this particular building] on the 13th floor. We are working with [our realtor] to have the elevators turned off for the 13th floor during the meeting. I suggest everyone to be prompt.

Thanks,
[Human Resources Manager]

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll clean-off my desk before the end of the day, but I'll be damned if I'm going to some mass execution party. Seriously, this one is just a little too spooky for me. On the 13th floor - in the office, not the lobby - we've got a very big conference room that would serve the purposes of a mass meeting very well. Call me paranoid - I'm just not quite ready to kick it just yet. I'm not worried about getting canned, mind you; I am worried about getting a bullet in my skull. How is that for paranoia? Even when you think you're not being conned, you're being conned at a subconscious level. Hope it's going to be nice tomorrow - I got the afternoon off!

UPDATE: First, a wise one told me they thought it was strange for our building to even have a 13th floor. I have to agree. I told him about how a few days ago, the elevator just decided to stop stopping on the 13th floor.

Then, another email:

[Our realtor] has confirmed they will stop the elevators from stopping on the 13th floor of [our building] during the All Hands Meeting tomorrow between 3:00 and 3:30 pm.

UPDATE: I went, I saw, it was just a stupid company-wide 'keep up the good work' meeting. The world of government contracting is interesting, to say the least...

No comments: