Saturday, May 14, 2005

The Armenian Genocide

One of the first steps to stopping genocide is to have it officially recognized as such when it occurs. Walking home from work the other day I passed the Turkish Embassy where about 20 protesters had gathered to urge the government of Turkey to investigate, recognize, and apologize for the genocide that was carried out by the Turkish government during WW I, between 1915 and 1918.

The protesters handed me a nice, laminated flyer that had a brief synopsis of the events of the genocide and included three links for more info:
* www.armenian-genocide.org
* www.theforgotten.org
* www.anca.org

They were happy to know that I was aware of the Armenian Genocide, and I don't doubt that it was only through the efforts of folks like themselves that I did.

No comments: