Monday, April 18, 2005

Scalia Gets eFF'ed in the A!

I just watched that South Park episode again. Hilarious. The title of the episode serves us well as we help illuminate the fact that inJustice Scalia, a sitting member of the U.S. Supreme Court (& duck hunter extraordinaire), just got served.

This uber-sized smackdown that a gay NYU law student (Eric Berndt) put on Scalia is one of the most convincing and moving pieces of writing I've read in a long time:

Although my question was legally relevant, as I explain below, an independent motivation for my speech-act was to simply subject a homophobic government official to the same indignity to which he would subject millions of gay Americans. It was partially a naked act of resistance and a refusal to be silenced. I wanted to make him and everyone in the room aware of the dehumanizing effect of trivializing such an important relationship. Justice Scalia has no pity for the millions of gay Americans on whom sodomy laws and official homophobia have such an effect, so it is difficult to sympathize with his brief moment of "humiliation," as some have called it. The fact that I am a law student and Scalia is a Supreme Court Justice does not require me to circumscribe my justified opposition and outrage within the bounds of jurisprudential discourse.


Read the whole thing.

The Nation's reprint of the Eric Berndt's open letter is titled 'Debriefing Scalia'. Hilarious.

Debriefed. Served. eFFed in the A. Humiliated. Gotten the best of. Overpowered. Shamed. Shown to be the coward he is. Antonin Scalia - Astroglide's new biggest fan.

No comments: