Tuesday, November 13, 2007

You can own a professional soccer team, but what about a newspaper?

This soccer story has has been percolating for months, if not more than a year, and I think it's great.

The question, though, is what _else_ can we regular citizens buy? Could we buy something important, like a newspaper? Or build one from scratch? I've always thought it'd be nice to put together a USA Today, but a non-corporate one, and we could easily distribute it in every major city in America - and we could probably pay people to do it. We'd be sort of like the Green Party - we would only take ad money from non-profits and businesses not over some certain size - say 50 employees or some revenue amount, like $1 million or so.

Now you, too, can own a professional soccer team. And no, you don’t have to settle for an M.L.S. expansion franchise. Like Malcolm Glazer, Roman Abramovich and other super-rich sports investors, fans can own part of a real English professional soccer team.


What say you?

...i'm in. It's not really 'ownership', that i can tell - more you just get a chance to vote for a single year. You can buy yearly memberships, up to three, I think. Kinda sucks, but I'm glad I got in so I can check out how everything works.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm in, but only if there are no paid ads. I hate ads. I'd rather have the buyer just pay what it costs to print the paper, rather than pay what it costs, and then pay in unnecessary purchases that are fueled by the ads.