Thursday, April 29, 2004

U.S. Gets Big Win In Dominating Performance Over Mexico

Yup yup. The US seemed to dominate the fast-paced game, and went up 1-0 with less than a minute remaining in injury time. Awesome!



I think the US team just wanted it more tonight. All of the US players know that their positions are not guaranteed until the official roster for the World Cup is named, and even then they'd better stay sharp if they hope to start. The good attitude on the part of the players shows in at least a couple of quotes after the game:

Bobby Convey, usually a forward, on whether he's happy to be playing out of position, at left back:

Yeah, I gotta be. I’m on the field and that’s where I’m going to be. I’m fine playing there. I just have to keep proving myself.

Chevrolet Man of the Match, Landon Donovan, on whether this game makes up for the poor performance against Haiti:

None of these games are really that important. They are important from a personal standpoint, because you want to perform for Bruce, but the real games are coming up.

From Bruce Arena:

The players are the ones who won the game. We have good players. They don’t get enough credit. We’ve demonstrated that perhaps in this region we are the team to beat.

Nice!