Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Noam Chomsky - Wikiquote

This collection of Chomsky quotes is legit. Unreal. This one, in the 'Education' section, made me laugh:

'If you quietly accept and go along no matter what your feelings are, ultimately you internalize what you're saying, because it's too hard to believe one thing and say another. I can see it very strikingly in my own background. Go to any elite university and you are usually speaking to very disciplined people, people who have been selected for obedience. And that makes sense. If you've resisted the temptation to tell the teacher, 'You're an asshole,' which maybe he or she is, and if you don't say, 'That's idiotic,' when you get a stupid assignment, you will gradually pass through the required filters. You will end up at a good college and eventually with a good job.'


How cool is that?

I think I've passed through too many of the required filters. Time to take a step back.

No comments: