Monday, July 25, 2005

Kurt Vonnegut and the Tool of Last Resort

From a WaPo blog much less!

'I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.' It appears to me that the most highly evolved Earthling creatures find being alive embarrassing or much worse....Two important women in my life, my mother and my only sister, Alice, or Allie, in Heaven now, hated life and said so. Allie would cry out, “I give up! I give up!”[further examples: Mark Twain, Henry David Thoreau, Jesus] So it is not one whit mysterious that we poison the water and air and topsoil, and construct ever more cunning doomsday devices, both industrial and military. Let us be perfectly frank for a change. For practically everybody, the end of the world cannot come soon enough.'

No comments: