Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Fahrenheit 9/11

You've heard about this movie by now - even if the Rethugs have tried to keep it off the radar screen. It's gonna hurt Bush - a lot. The ultra-liberal Washington Post (sic) has not yet done a review, but here is one from the BBC. The International Herald Tribune does one, too.

Moore apparently named his flick after the sci-fi book by Ray Bradbury, 'Fahrenheit 451'. Read-up on this book to find out why the Moore chose the title he did.

UPDATE: I very much enjoyed this flick. There was one part about all of the black House members from Florida protesting the election results for their districts, but not one member of the Senate had signed their objections. That's right - not one. Not a single Democrat stood-up for the black voters of Florida. Tell me again, why should black people vote for Democrats?

But the flick was good - very good. Laugh, cry - you get the works. Compelling stories from all the points of view you won't get on corporate tv. Since seeing the flick a few days ago (I've seen it 3 times now - and each time I picked-up on something new), I've seen quite a bit of criticism from both the right and the left. The favorite lefty criticism seems to be that Moore is a racist for showing Bush shaking hands with a lot of Saudi's. I didn't get that impression at all, and I pride myself on being able to pick up on any and all racism - especially passive forms of it.

To me, Michael Moore is a hero for putting out a work that is now surely raining down all manner of death threats upon himself and his family [a conservative rag just published his home address]. It's bizarre to me that the oppressed in this country - the Left - doesn't give him more credit for this bravery. Those who believe one would voluntarily endure death threats for a little more fame and/or fortune are probably the same people who think that Saddam was 'a madman' and that Saddam invaded Kuwait without tacit approval from the U.S. C'est la vie...

UPDATE: NEW YORK PRESS does a review, which I thought was awful, unfair, etc. So I wrote in and they published my letter. Shoot! If I'd have known! My letter has been given the title 'Moore vs. White, VII'.

No comments: