Thursday, January 22, 2004

How naïve could I possibly be?!

You know, just when I think I'm really starting to get the hang of reading between the lines of Bush Administration policy, the rug gets pulled out from under me. So many times. I suck. Ok, now that I've checked myself and my incredible gullibility, let's talk nuts and bolts. I and many others dismissed Bush's new immigration policy as pandering to the Latino vote, but of course, there may be other implications - high tech workers may be affected as well - not just those poor undocumented saps down at the local drive-thru car wash. Doh! You mean...<gulp>...this pandering might affect....me? Yeah, buddy, you.


But in a speech last week at the Cato Institute, an administration official indicated the program could extend to highly skilled positions as well. Margaret Spellings, assistant to the president for domestic policy, said details of the program have yet to be worked out. But she said the program will be "non-sector specific" and mentioned nurses and teachers as possible workers covered by the program.

No comments: