Sunday, January 04, 2004

Will my school loans get canceled if I die?

Just curious. Along those same lines, what if Ashcroft scoops me up and plops me down in Gitmo for a few days/weeks/months/years/rest-of-my-life? Who pays the interest? Can I get a deferment or something, at least until I get my trial date - the trial date I'll never get, because I'll probably die in the custody of the U.S. military? Well, that's not necessarily true. Maybe they'll just ship me off to Syria and torture me for a year or so, and then let me go. I could probably handle catching up on the interest payments, but something's just not right about that. Plus, I'd have all sorts of 'late payment' marks on my credit reports. Talk about unfair. Wisped away under cloak of secrecy to be tortured for a year by people speaking a foreign tongue without legal representation just to be sent back to the U.S., uncharged with any crime and having ruined credit? Sheesh.

UPDATE:
From Sallie Mae:

If a borrower dies and he or she does not have a co-signer on the loans, the loans will be discharged. Our records do not reflect that you have a co-signer on your loans.
Niiiiice. Come get me Ashcroft, you f*ck.

No comments: